TxOHC Oral Health Program for Older Adults and Individuals With Disabilities
The mission of this program is to provide oral health education and increase access to care for older adults and individuals with disabilities so that every person has the opportunity to reach 80 years of age with 20 of their natural teeth.
This program has several key components:
- Promote and support TMF Health Quality Institute’s Smile Proud project to provide free onsite, online and video education, knowledge, skills and oral care support to nursing home staff and residents.
- Develop oral health education videos/materials
- Support adult Medicaid dental benefits
- Support adult dental benefits in Medicare
- Expand the Homebound Older Adult Community Outreach Program (HOACO). This is an oral health education program for homebound adults. TxOHC developed rack cards in English and Spanish for home caregivers on multiple oral health topics that affect older adults. Utilizing community volunteers, we collaborate with local Area Agencies on Aging, Meals on Wheels and UnitedHealthcare to provide the materials and disseminate the oral health gift bags to homebound older adults. In 2019 the program provided 3,600 homebound older adults in Bexar, Frio, and Atascosa counties oral health goodies and our oral health and aging rack card in celebration of dental hygiene month.
Interested in learning more about older adult oral health? Visit our older adult resource page.
Image courtesy of Witthaya Phonsawat at FreeDigitalPhotos.net