Let’s Prevent Oropharyngeal Cancer (and Avoid Awkward Conversations While Doing It!)
Dr. Rhonda Stokley, DDS
Friday, April 8, 2022
12:00 – 1:00 PM CDT
Vaccination is important to the dental community because most oropharyngeal cancer (OPC) is HPV-associated. OPC affects both men and women. The HPV vaccine also prevents five other types of cancer. Our patients need a strong recommendation from us to vaccinate. This presentation provides information about HPV, OPC and the HPV vaccine. We will also explain what a strong recommendation is and how to integrate HPV vaccine conversations into your practice without having awkward talks about sexual activity.
- Attendees will be able to state the percentage of oropharyngeal cancers associated with HPV.
- Attendees will be able to list ways they can integrate HPV vaccination conversations into their practices.
- Attendees will be able to make a strong recommendation for HPV vaccination.
Dr. Rhonda Stokley, DDS
Dr. Rhonda Stokley is State Public Health Dental Director at the Texas Department of State Health Services. She has held the position since 2016. Dr. Stokley plans and directs statewide dental public health programs and activities that focus on maternal and child, oral health surveillance, and HPV vaccination, to name a few. She also serves as an oral health subject matter expert for the agency and other state programs. She is a member of several oral health-related committees, boards and organizations, including the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors. Dr. Stokley was Dental Director of the Austin State Supported Living Center for seven years and has also owned a private dental practice. She is a 2005 graduate of Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry.
Credit hours: 1.0 CEU
Teaching Method: Live webinar lecture
Edification is complimentary to all attendees and continuing dental education is free to TxOHC members. All other attendees will be charged $10.00 to receive continuing dental education for this course.
Presenter Contact Information:
Rhonda Stokley, DDS:
AGD Subject Code: 130
Texas Oral Health Coalition
Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
7/1/2021 to 6/30/2024.
Provider ID# 346144
- Zoom supports the latest release of these browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
- Supported operating systems and system requirements for PC, Mac, and Linux.
- Webinar registration is required, you will need to complete registration and use the link to join the webinar. Registrants will receive their own link via email and from that link will be able to join the meeting by Zoom desktop client or browser, or download the Zoom desktop client or mobile app.
- TxOHC Technology Plan