TxOHC Oral Health Program for Older Adults and Individuals With Disabilities
The mission of this program is to provide oral health education and increase access to care for older adults and individuals with disabilities, so that every person has the opportunity to reach 80 years of age with 20 of their natural teeth.
Mission 80/20 has several key components:
- Promote and support TMF Health Quality Institute's Smile Proud project to provide free onsite, online and video education, knowledge, skills and oral care support to nursing home staff and residents.
- Develop oral health education videos/materials
- Support adult oral health data collection by participating in our online survey
- Advocate for cost benefits analysis for preventive oral health care for older adults and individuals with disabilities. This analysis would show potential cost savings for averted disease through preventive services( 85th Legislature passed SB1 that includes this cost benefit analysis) (Issue Brief)
- Support adult Medicaid dental benefits
- Support adult dental benefits in Medicare
PRESENTATIONS NEEDED FOR OLDER ADULT ORAL HEALTH ISSUES
Faculty and students are also invited to create short, 10 minutes or less, topic specific PowerPoint presentations regarding oral health issues for older adults. The presenters for presentations selected will be asked to film their presentation as a video by mmLearn.org in San Antonio. For topic ideas, please visit txohc.org/adult. If you are interested in providing a brief presentation, please contact Maria Wellisch at Maria.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need health experts to do topic specific presentations to be videotaped. Topics of interest:
- Burning mouth syndrome
- Mouth/Body Connection (Diabetes)
- Respiratory diseases/aspiration pneumonia
- Association with cardiovascular disease and stroke
- chronic oral and systemic conditions
- Root caries
- Quality of life and psychosocial health
- Clinical anxiety, depression, and other disorders
- Cognitive impairment
- Access and barriers to dental care for older adults
- Oral health resources for older adults and their caregivers
Image courtesy of Witthaya Phonsawat at FreeDigitalPhotos.net